Graduate Student Researcher Assistantships
Research assistantships are awarded by individual faculty members from faculty research grants. Traditionally, research assistantships are negotiated with your major professor during the admission process. Registration fees will be covered under the UC Fee Remission program for any research assistantship appointment of 25% or greater. During the application process if a faculty member indicates an interest in sponsoring an applicant, the GGE will ask for any information on funding arrangements that have been made. You should also request this information from your faculty sponsor.
The Ecology Graduate Group does not award or have access to teaching assistantships. They are awarded by academic departments. You are free to apply for any teaching assistantships hired by individual departments that you feel you are qualified to teach. You should contact departments (listed here) individually to request an application, please note that each department has a different deadline. The GGE office will supply supplemental application information such as: copies of your transcripts, GRE's, letter of recommendation and resume from your admission. If you would like to take advantage of this service, please provide the GGE office with a list of departments that you have applied to. If there are supplemental letters of recommendation that can attest to your teaching background or experience, we highly recommend that you have these included with your TA application.
NOTE: To applicants to the Joint Doctoral Program in Ecology: Applicants to the JDPE program with SDSU do not need to apply for teaching asistantships. JDPE students are in residence at the SDSU campus their first year and are not eligible to hold a UC Davis fellowship.
The Office of Graduate Studies keeps a list of fellowships and grants available to continuing graduate students. You can find out more about these by checking their listing regularly.
The Office of Graduate Studies has just started to post on-campus postdoctoral
opportunities. Check this listing regularly if you are interested
in finding postdocs with UC Davis investigators.
Atmospheric Aerosols and Health (AAH) Graduate Training Grant: The AAH graduate training grant is designed to prepare students to work in the field of air quality through a combination of interdisciplinary coursework, problem solving and team building activities. Our goal is to use AAH as a recruitment tool to encourage new, incoming students to attend UCD and pursue research in an area related to air quality. However, if space allows, we also consider applications from current UCD students. Please contact Kate Shasky, 530-754-9646, or via e-mail: email@example.com, website: http://aah.ucdavis.edu.
Responding to Rapid Environmental Change (REACH) Graduate Training
Grant: Applying to the Graduate Group in Ecology (GGE)? Interested
in multidisciplinary approaches to environmental problems spanning social
and natural sciences? Consider applying to the National Science Foundation-funded
REACH IGERT program in addition to GGE. Click
for more information.
Other useful links of funding sources:
External Fellowship Opportunities
- American Association for University Women (AAUW)
- Aspen Institute Nonprofit Sector Research Fellowship
- Atmospheric Aerosols and Health (AAH) at UC Davis
- Bancroft Library Study Awards
- Canon National Parks Science Scholars Program for the Americas
- Chancellor's Dissertation Year Fellowship
- EPA STAR Fellowship
- FinAid! Guide to Financial Aid - information and links on all types of financial aid and scholarships
- Financial Aid for Study Abroad - List of financial aid links from UCI's Center for International Education
- Ford Foundation Community Forestry Fellowship
- Ford Foundation Community Forestry Predisseration Grant
- Fulbright Fellowship
- Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation Dissertation Fellowship (IGGC)
- Institute for International Education - Institute assists in administering the Fulbright and related programs
- John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Predissertation Fellowship
- Luce Scholars Program - "Luce Scholars Program provides stipends and internships for eighteen young Americans to live and work in Asia each year."
- Mellon Fellowship (Entering students)
- Morris K. Udall Dissertation Fellowship
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship (entering and first year students) - Helpful hints from students who have an NSF here.
- National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant
- NSEP: Graduate Fellowships - "Fellowships enable US graduate students to pursue specialization in area and language study or to add an important international dimension to their education."
- Packard Fellowship
- Rotary Cultural Ambassadorial Scholarship
- Rural Sociological Society Dissertation Research Award
- Sara's Wish Foundation (Travel for Women) - Scholarships are awarded to women who exhibit qualities of leadership, service, and adventure
- Social Science Research Council Dissertation Fellowship
- StudyAbroad Forum - Click on "financial aid" for list of links
- Switzer Foundation Fellowship
- The Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation - "Scholarships for students who plan to pursue careers in government or elsewhere in public service,and wish to attend graduate or professional school to help prepare for their careers."
- UC Davis Education Abroad Center
- U.C. Mexus
- World Bank: Scholarships and Fellowships - "Scholarship programs to help create an international community of professionals working in the field of economic and social development, and build capacity for research in developing countries."
- 101 Top College, University and Scholarship Websites - Huge list of links to funding resources
- Graduate Fellowship Listing - NC State's Links to 30+ fellowship and funding programs for graduate and postdoctoral scholars
- UC Davis Graduate Group of Ecology: Human Ecology Funding Page
- International Education Financial Aid (IEFA) - Search database by field of study to find funding resources
- Grants in Graduate Studies - NYU's Searchable database of scholarship / grant / fellowship listings, also sorted by subject
- http://www.scholarshipsandgrants.us - Scholarships and Grants
Funding Sources for Specific Needs or Interests
- Yahoo Directory of Financial Aid - Private foundation grants and useful for specific interest searching
- StudyAbroad.com Sources and Tips on Obtaining Financial Aid - List of funding sources for study abroad and travel
- International Education and Financial Aid - Financial aid for international students studying in the U.S. as well as U.S. citizens studying abroad
- International Student Loan Program
- Yahoo Directory of Scholarships - List of scholarship and grant sites for international and minority students
Social Science Research Council. "The Art of Writing Proposals:
Some Candid Suggestions for Applicants to Social Science Research Council
Competitions" Published on: Jan 07, 2004, By Adam Przeworski and